Pilot Magazine UKGA

About You

Flight planning

Flight planning New flightplan NOTAM map LARS map & NOTAMs Danger area, mil. & TRA activations Weather map GPS route download Find waypoints Your waypoints New waypoint

Forums

Forums Currently discussing "Logbook entries"

History

EASA Liceses post Brexit

Other items

Articles Events Links News Surveys Tips Other users Feedback UKGA membership About UKGA

Forums > General Aviation

See more discussions in the General Aviation topic
Start a new discussion in the General Aviation topic

Discussion: "EASA Liceses post Brexit"

1. Sat 25 Jul Gail Stevens - Oxford
Hi Everyone,

I've just picked up the following tidbit on th gliderpilot web site from Pete Stratten CEO of the BGA. This is an excerpt from his full posting - 23 July 20.

"The Gov intends to recognise all EASA issued certificates and licences for
two years, ie until 31 Dec 2023"

This has significant implications for those of us with LAPL(A)s. I for one would prefer not to loose my right to pop over the water for a nice day out occasionally.
And I don't particularly want to have to go to the additional expence of upgrading to a full PPL Just to have what I have right now.

Given that the LAPL was issued for life and that the UK was never contracted into Schengen, I don't see why this should need to change(?).

Gail Stevens
PA28 driver.
Login to say you like this
2. Mon 17 Aug David C - Gloucester
Gail

While I believe you are correct that the UK CAA will recognise foreign EASA licences until at least end 2023, they have also stated that any UK issued EASA licences will automatically become UK national licences on 1st Jan 2021. So if you have a LAPL today then it will continue for the foreseeable future, with the same revalidation/currency requirements.

However EASA have not said they would recognise UK licences after end 2020. Those with UK PPL licences, which are at the internationally recognised ICAO level, will be able to use them abroad. However since the LAPL licence is sub-ICAO, it wouldn't be.

Of course, many things may change between now and 1st January, but as it stands, UK LAPL holders won't be able to use their licence abroad. You would have to upgrade to a full PPL.
Login to say you like this
You will need to be logged in to post to these forums. Sign up now!

About You

Airfields

Interactive airfield map Search by name Search by postcode Search by location Fuel prices Pilot reviews Latest
(No favourites selected)

Flight planning

Flight planning New flightplan NOTAM map LARS map & NOTAMs Danger area, mil. & TRA activations Weather map GPS route download Find waypoints Your waypoints New waypoint

Forums

Forums Currently discussing "Logbook entries"

History

EASA Liceses post Brexit

Other items

Articles Events Links News Surveys Tips Other users Feedback UKGA membership About UKGA