- Best Quality and value of food / drink: Sleap Airfield
- Best Standard of runway: Newquay Airport
- Best Landing fee / handling charges: Eggesford Airfield
- Best ATC / AFIS / A/G service: Isle Of Man Airport
- Best Friendliness of welcome: Eggesford Airfield
- Best GA pilot briefing facilities: Guernsey Airfield
For a 3 degree glideslope a descent of 300ft/nm is required. However there is no instrument in the cockpit to easily measure ft/nm.
If we know the headwind we can use the VSI and here's how:
1. Calculate your ground speed (GS) on approach.
GS = IAS - headwind speed
2. Multiply this by 5 and this gives your required rate of descent.
ROD = 5 x GS (ft/min)
Headwind = 10 kts
IAS = 60 kts
GS = 60 - 10 = 50 kts
ROD = 5 x 50 = 250 ft/min